Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I'm HERE :-)

Unfortunately, in the 8 hours I have been in Uganda, I haven’t learned how to say hello in Luganda, but hopefully I will get it and some things from the language down soon.  Oh ya I guess that does imply that I have made it to Kampala, Uganda  safely so Praise God for that and for all you praying for me and our team.  I think everyone from all EMI’s different teams have made it safely as far as I know.  I think last I heard we had heard from everyone except the India team and Canada.  So Costa Rica, Middle East, and East Africa have all made it safely.
So where do I begin, well this past week of missionary training in Colorado Springs has just been so awesome!  Sad to say I think myself and a few others kind of went into the week thinking, “Alright lets just get this week over with in order to get to the ‘real’ trip.”  Little did we know that God had other plans (who knew because that hardly ever happens huh? Where God has other plans than we intended… ha ha). 
This was just the most amazing week with the most amazing people.  All of us had come together with a few major things in common that allowed an uncanny week of great fellowship of God’s Children.  First, as just stated we are all children of the most High God (1 John 3:1).  Secondly, we all have hearts for missions and serve God and others with those hearts.  All willing hearts drawn to action for the Kingdom.  Lastly, we are all somewhat technically minded.  I say somewhat because I don’t know sometimes how technically minded I am and maybe a few others there who shall remain nameless…. Ha jk.
Anyways, we formed some amazing bonds that I truly hope all of us pursue in the future.  Ya’ll are always welcome in California!  That’s right I said ya’ll.  Too many dang southerners there with their Ya’lls so I figure I cant beat them so I am just going to join them.  And I don’t mean to brag, but my spiritual gift is hospitality. 
Lets see so the week was awesome consisting of lots of teaching and learning about culture, our spiritual gifts and strengths, hiking, rock climbing, snow ball fights and absurd amounts of laughter and jokes many usually at the cause of the funny words everyone would say from all over the world.  We had Midwest to deep south to Minnesota to Canada to England to Irealand.  Who knew there were so many different words for shopping cart, buggy, trolley, etc.
So after this wonderful week of training, we had a lovely 8 hour flight to London where we got the opportunity to get a nice jog in the airport to stretch our legs before our next 8 hour flight to Uganda.  Oh ya and the reason we got this opportunity to jog is because we were literally sprinting through the London airport to make it to our connecting flight, but made it just in time J
Ya so now you are up to speed pretty much, we landed in Uganda. Flights were awesome with British Airways (they are paying me for this product placement don’t worry), went super fast or should I say it flew by? J wow that was cheesy I know.  Humor me I am going on 5 hours of sleep in 2 days. Plus probably an average of 6 hours or less a night in Colorado with so much fun to be packed into one day.

 Phil (a Cal Poly Alumni) picked us up at the airport where 9 people and luggage for 6 people staying in Uganda for 5 months as well as a couple trunks full of stuff from EMI in the US crammed into what I would call a VW bus with an added row of seats.  This was a blast at midnight (and I am not even being sarcastic, which is strange for me).  So we got into our apartment about 1 AM local time and went straight to bed.  I proceeded to wake up @ 4:30 AM to the lovely sound of dogs barking and a rooster crowing.  That was a first.  Once I was awake it hit me that I am in Uganda and I was just too excited to fall back asleep.  I just wanted to go see stuff and play.  I am so excited to be here!  It truly is a strange thing thought that I absolutely loved it.  I love all the strange noises, my apartment, my bed with bug net, everything about it here I love it already and I haven’t even seen it light out except for a little this morning which I happen to have a few pictures of the views just outside our apartment for you ENJOY! J


This is the view out of our balcony this morning.  That’s the neighbors house.  They had chickens and roosters running around J
My view the other way

The deck of the apartment next door.  We are just in a two story quadplex but its awesome.
Our little courtyard area.  The neightbor has toys so I am guessing kids as well J

Of course they still have hummers, I am guessing this is a hotel nearby.


More to come later, but I am headin into the office at 8 AM to have a time of morning devotions and worship the LORD! I cannot wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment